365 Tarot Spells, Rituals & Magic an Interview with Sasha Graham
AUTHOR OF 365 TAROT SPELLS An Interview with Sasha Graham first appeared on the Llewellyn Worldwide on April 26th. READ TIME: 2 MINS
1. Your book, 365 Tarot Spells, includes a daily spell inspired by the power of the tarot. What inspired you to write it? The idea struck me as I was finishing up the editing of 365 Tarot Spreads. I realized the same format could work equally well for a spell book. And spell books are like cookbooks; I love them! It felt like the perfect next step. 365 Tarot Spreads was about asking yourself questions and gaining insight. 365 Tarot Spells is about taking action. Using the spell book, the reader can use the insight gleaned from the spreads to manifest their heart's desire. It is a perfect combination of contemplation and action.
2. Can anyone use the spells in the book? Or do you need to have knowledge of the tarot? Anyone can use this book, even if you are new to tarot and/or new to magic. In fact, using this book may be the very best way for a newcomer to learn the cards. Every card is directly interacted with inside the spell. Rather than simply reading about a card's meaning, they will interface with the tarot card. Plus, I walk the reader through every step. The caster can add onto the spell at their pleasure, for their skill level, or as they see fit. In fact, I encourage that. The more personal the spell, the more effective it will be.
3. How exactly do you define a "spell?" Did you intend for them to work with a particular spiritual system? A spell, as I define it, is self-created sacred space. This space is constructed outside of our ordinary time. It is a place where you specifically manifest a goal, interact with a card, or embark upon spiritual work that brings about some result in your ordinary time or "regular" life. A spell raises energy, intermingles with the innate energy of natural objects (herbs, stones, flowers, weather, etc.), makes use of tarot's Arcana, and is where one often perform actions that reinforce your desire. The only spiritual system needed for 365 Tarot Spells is the belief in oneself.
4. Your previous book is 365 Tarot Spreads, based on the same idea of daily use (in this case, a tarot spread for each day based on that day's history or season). How do you use the tarot in your daily life, all 365 days a year? I mindfully flip a card every morning—I'll do so with a number of different intentions depending on the day and what I've got going on. Sometimes, I specifically choose a card that I want to embody or draw energy from. Other times, I will use the cards for focus if I'm confused or stuck. Some days I randomly pull and ask, "Ok, tarot, what do I need to know to have the best day ever?" The best part? I always get an answer.
5. What do you hope readers will take away from 365 Tarot Spells? Empowerment. Expansion. A sense of wonder. An opening of possibility. Creativity. Sacredness. I hope they intermingle inside the heart of the Arcana in an immersive, experiential, and surprising way. I Hope they will learn how much innate personal power they possess. I hope that tarot will become a gateway for their creative imagination. That they will journey and mine for knowledge in a new way. I hope it gives them a greater sense of connection with the universe and their authentic self. And I hope they have fun.
Read about how to cast a tarot spell here!